Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience:  30 Years on the tools, now retired, Ex CORGI
15546140

I have a Vaillant COMBIcompact VCW GB 242 EH boiler (c.1990

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Vaillant COMBIcompact VCW GB 242 EH boiler (c.1990 vintage). It's been losing water pressure lately so I need to top up from the mains every couple of days to keep it going. Recently the pilot light has gone out twice in a matter of days--the red light lights up and I have press the black button to relight. Apart from that it works fine! Every boiler engineer I've contacted so far has rolled his eyes and said it's obsolete, can't get the spares, why don't I spend £2k replacing it with a nice new one. Are they right? It's a solid piece of kit, very nicely built, and I'm keen to keep it going if I can.
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 6 months ago.

A lot of Parts Center have really old stock on the shelves and you may get lucky.

Boiler manufacturers only have to keep producing spares for 10 years after their last manufacture.

Are you losing water from the copper discharge pipe outside?