Brian
Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.
63187465

My name is ***** ***** clancy. I have an intermittent

Customer Question

Hi. My name is ***** ***** clancy. I have an intermittent overflow from the F&E tank. It is not the ballcock. It is unlikely (I believe) to be the cylinder coil as overflow only occurs when the heating (CH or hot water) is on. There is a narrow bore feed pipe from the bottom of the F&E tank and a separate vent pipe over the top. The excess water appears to be going up the narrow bore feed pipe (that is hot, whereas the vent pipe is cold and the open end of it dry). It is possible that the standard water level in the F&E tank is simply a bit high to start with, so that expansion takes the level over the overflow outlet, but I am surprised that the hot water should go up the feed pipe and not the vent pipe. One thing I have not done in a while is bleed the radiators, so it is possible that air in them is heating up and expanding more than the water itself would expand, resulting in significant excess hot water to be displaced. Any thoughts?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am trying to discover what is the cause of the overflow and so what has to be fixed, in a vented system.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Plumbers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 11 months ago.
Hi this is usually due to a restriction in the primary feed or return pipe, the boiler overheating Or a circulation pump running to fast. Its not unusual for it to expand up the F&E pipe Its not air in the radiators causing the problem but it could be an airlock in the system causing the flow to be restricted. Try bleeding the radiators and also try turning the temperature on the boiler down a little.