Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering

I have just moved into a house with a Potterton Ultra 2

Customer Question

Hi, I have just moved into a house with a Potterton Ultra 2 boiler. Ignition sequence is to turn boiler stat to zero, ensure it's set to 'all on' then set room stat to high before turning boiler stat to max. This initiates start. I hear a click as though the pilot light is igniting and the boiler now emits a constant drone.
I can hear water moving around the system (from the radiators) but they (or the pipes, or the water) aren't getting hot.
There's a green light on the front of the boiler to tell you that it's alright but this does not illuminate. Hoping this is a red herring owing to it making all the right sounds.
But not heat! Any ideas?
Category: UK Plumbing
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
definitely have a good gas supply, gas fire in lounge on (only thing keeping us warm). Boiler still droning after 45 minutes but still no hot pies/radiators/water.
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 7 months ago.
It sounds like it is not lighting.
Can you hear it ticking as though trying to light?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is a single tick, which I took to be an efficient ignition based on the sound that the boiler made as though it was running after the tick. If I turn the stat down and then up again, the tick can be heard each time.Unless this tick is something else?But there is no access panel to see the pilot light and no warmth at all from the unit or pipes. And no green light to say it is lit.
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 6 months ago.
Does the single tick come just after the fan runs?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As you select 'all on' then the fan? starts to hum then as you turn the thermostat dial maybe 1/4 turn, the click happens. Turning the stat down causes the same click so I assume that's just the point at which the stat is calling on the boiler to fire but whilst it is 'calling for heat' it doesn't actually ignite?
The fan does not start until the thermostat is calling for heat.
I would assume the fan is not running then.
Perhaps you should try removing the cover to confirm, if it is not running then you will need to check the voltage.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would this prevent ignition?
the fan must be running before igintion is attempted.
The air pressure switch tells the boiler the fan is running
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, main cover off, will the fan be obvious to identify? From there it's a car of voltage testing it and if there's current there, a faulty fan? If no current then a fault elsewhere?
Do you want to upload a picture and I will identify it for you?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do but having returned to work this morning, I won't get chance to touch the oiler until Friday eve. I have a Rayburn and managed to get that going so I have hot water so I can either rate now or rate at the weekend when I know for certain what the issue is?
Let's see if I can help you first.
Just come back when you are ready