Brian
Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.
63187465

A pump feeds two showers and a kitchen tap, but just

Customer Question

A pump feeds two showers and a kitchen tap, but just recently no more than half-warm water comes out. Other taps and a bath - fed from same cylinder - have good hot water. I have checked hot inlet filter to the pump and it is clean. The problem persists even when I turn the pump off. Mystery!
JA: Sometimes plumbing issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Plumber I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Plumber should know?
Customer: Not really.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Plumber responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Plumber about your situation and connect you two.
Category: UK Plumbing
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Why would the hot water going through the pump (on or off) be a lot less hot than the hot water that isn't? They are both coming from the same water cylinder.
Expert:  Brian replied 11 months ago.

This is often caused by a cross flow in one of the showers from the cold side to the hot due to a faulty cartridge.

To check this isolate the hot water supply and turn on the kitchen hot tap if you get a flow of cold water through it isolate each shower in turn.