Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Owner at Gaztech
92290868

Rick. Advice would be appreciated. My mum has a potterton

Customer Question

Hi Rick. Advice would be appreciated. My mum has a potterton combi80 boiler which cuts out whenever the weather is cold. It's in the loft of a chalet style bungalow. Fitted in2000 it's been nothing but trouble and now the maintenance insurance was cancelled by the company in December. When you press the reset button sometimes it's ok for a few hours. When the weather is milder it's not a problem. HELP. We can't afford to replace it. Thank you
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.

Please DON'T forget to rate our conversation when we are all done so I can get paid for my services.

Please don't leave negative feedback, I am there to help you.

Hello, cold weather has an effect on your unit because of few factors, 1- inake and exaust venting to the outside are subject to condensation water accumulation and then frost and ice build up restricting the flow of inlet and outlet, check and remove if any.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This has been checked and all are free of ice etc.
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.

Is your unit on propane or natural gas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Natural gas.
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.

And the boiler is used for heating and domestic hot water?

Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.

n cold weather, the pipe that takes waste water from the back of the condensing boiler - which isn’t there in a normal boiler - freezes solid, shutting down the system.

Read this carefully, see if you fit in...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1342357/Central-heating-break-big-freeze-Heres-.html

Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.

OK??