Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

Ferroli combi dripping water from bottom. engineer says it

Customer Question

ferroli combi dripping water from bottom. engineer says it is condensate running back along the flue and dripping down the outside of heat exchanger and out the bottom of the boiler. any ideas? I thought these boilers were supposed to drain condensate back to the boiler?
Category: UK Plumbing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no loss of pressure and no leaks in CH or DHW
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. I am curious why the engineer did not clear the condensate drain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure about that, however he did adjust the flue, its quite long due to location of the boiler, he said the flue shouldn't have as much rise as it did and it seems that the leak was coming from where the flue joins the secondary heat exchanger due to too much condensate forming in the flue. I'm no expect but this still doesn't seem right, surely the flue system should be sealed?? Thanks for your reply.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. There should be a condensate drain on the vent pipe. It may even be a small, clear tube connected to a barb at the base of the vent where it connects to the boiler. There is a track in the inside rim where the condensate collects and drains out of the tubing. Look for the barb and clear it so the condensate can drain out and connect some tubing to it. Leave it coiled next to the boiler to act as a trap. The coil will stay full of water and keep bugs and dust out.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Without a response from you I am not able to tell if you found the information helpful. Did you find it helpful or is there any other information that I could provide?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.