Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

Gh rick I have a Halstead ace gh when I turn the boiler on

Customer Question

High rick I have a Halstead ace high when I turn the boiler on it tries to run but the flow switch pin doesn't lift I've changed both diaphragms but no joy any ideas please thanks Rupert
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

How much water flow per minute are you getting from a hot tap thats close to the boiler just run a tap for 30 seconds into a bucket and let me know the litres please.

Its often the plate heat exchanger thats causing the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian I'm getting eight litres in 30 seconds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian this afternoon I took the pump off to make sure the impeller wasn't blocked but it wasn't also I took the new flow diaphragm out to make sure I'd fitted it correctly & noticed it was about 3 times as thick as the old one so replaced it with the old one as there was no hole in it now the pin lifts half way but not enough to make the flow switch work ps I tried the pump while it was off & it runs fine I hope this can shed some light on the matter yours Rupert oh & I had bought a new dhw heat exchanger last week so I put that on to
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

Yes 16 litres a minute is very good, I am going to opt out for you hopefully you can get a resolve to this problem soon.

Brian

Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

Hot water, heating or both?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andrew its both regards rupert

So when the pump runs the pin does not lift fully and when the tap is run the other pin does not raise fully?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is correct andrew

You need to strip and clean the divertor and pipework if the pump is clean and unrestricted - it is the lack of water flow causing the pins not to rise high enough

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou I'll try that as soon as I get a chance and put some fernox f3 or something similar and run it for a week or so regards rupert

No problem, if that does not cure it then you may have to strip and clean or replace

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andrew what flushing fluid would you recommend for a really good clean out of the system or should I go for a power flush
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Andrew I forgot to tell you that I took off a couple of rads to replace some broken valves and flushed them through with the shower pipe in the bath and loads of black crud came out of them so I'm gonna do all eight kindest regards ***** ***** the way I bought my daughter a divorced barbie for her birthday, it came with all ken's stuff ¿;}

Ok, once you have flushed everything then treat the water with MB1 to prevent this happening again.