Brian
Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.
63187465

I have a Icos Ideal HE12 boiler that suddenly making a noise

Customer Question

I have a Icos Ideal HE12 boiler that suddenly making a noise which shudders the whole kitchen. It shakes and vibrates for about 10 seconds and then it is ok, but it then does do it intermittently. Is this dangerous or scale build up inside heat exchange? This is standard boiler. Any ideas?
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 10 months ago.

it sound like a massive air bubble that is circulating around the system. It could be kettling due to scale but that is usually just noisy no shaking the kitchen.

What you describe is a severe overheat. if you turn the boiler temperature right down on the boiler control panel does this help

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The boiler is now silent after using a system cleaner. However, it now does not switch off even when the thermostat is low. Could this be the heat sensors on the boiler?
Expert:  Brian replied 10 months ago.

Yes its very likely going to be the limit thermister. does it lock out when it overheats?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It never seems lock out, just does not turn off.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The boiler is showing a constant C, but the burner light is off. However, pump seems to be running after hearing is off.
Expert:  Brian replied 10 months ago.

That doesnt sound like a thermostat problem then.

I will opt out to open this question up for everyone else to see.

Hopefully someone will be able to pinpoint your fault.