Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

My oil boiler some times try's to start then cut out into

Customer Question

Hi my oil boiler some times try's to start then cut out into lock out. After pressing the restart button it fires up and runs fin. This only happens if it's been turned off for a whiles if cutting in and out during the day it's ok most of the time. Thanks Steve it's a merlin B.H Associates boiler with an electro oil sterling pump
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 11 months ago.

It could be dirty electrodes, it finds if harder to light from cold. Try cleaning them with wire wool and checking the spark gap.

Also your oil pump could be sticking or there might be somewhere that air is getting into the system overnight and creating a slug of air in the pipeline when it first tries to fire.