Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

Boiler keeps lighting every now and then of its own accord.

Customer Question

Boiler keeps lighting every now and then of its own accord. Programmer is off, thermostat is on lowest. Boiler serviced in September... Glowworm flexicom 12hx
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 11 months ago.

This is a heat only boiler, so you have a cylinder. Do you not think it is keeping the hot water at the correct temperature?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
we have a cylinder. The water is hot, no problems there. The boiler seems to have a mind of its own. No longer responds to the set programme.

It could be a problem with your motorised valve.

This part should be in the airing cupboard too, a silver or white box on the pipework. It turns on the pump and boiler when it is opened by the programmer, if it sticks then it can fire them up outside the set times.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi. Motorised valve was stuck in the notch above the 'manual' writing. I released it and it sprang slowly to the 'auto' writing on the casing. See how it goes... Just so I know, what end should the valve be on? Auto or manual?

Auto, also tight when on hot water and slack when on heating

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thanks for the replies. I have reset the progammer & the thermostat back to what they were both on before the problem started. Just have to wait and see what happens! ...

No problem - let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Seems to have sorted itself out now.... Although I think the motorised valve may have been fitted the wrong way round by the builders. House built in 2008.... We've always had a issue with needing heating on to have hot water. I don't know if it's a wiring fault, or just that the valve is on the wrong way round.

ok, try that and come back if you get stuck