Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

I have a Potterton Precision combi boiler connected to a

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, I have a Potterton Precision combi boiler connected to a British Gas WR1 wireless receiver. The WR1 talks to a Smart Linked Thermostat (calling it SMT for ease) via radio.At the moment, the boiler is stuck on full blast on no matter what temperature is set on the SMT. The SMT talks to the WR1 successfully and the on light comes on and goes off as expected on the WR1. However this makes no difference to what the boiler is doing. So my conclusion is that the problem is with the WR1 or the connection between the WR1 and the boiler. The whole system was installed by British Gas in Aug 2013.Does anyone have any suggestions of what has gone wrong and if I can try to fix this myself?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: So to clarify, heating is on all the time. The only way to turn it off is to cut the electricity to the boiler. The hot water is controlled by a different timer and works fine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to UK Plumbing Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure, I can wait a bit.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

Hi yes I think you are possibly right. You can try turning the power off to the unit completely for a few minutes. if this doesn't work then the switching system in the unit is probably faulty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried switching off for a while without success. So do you think the WR1 needs replacing or is it something that can be mended? Or did you mean the switch in the boiler is broken?
Thanks
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

I would think the WR1 is faulty. you can check this out by disconnecting the WN1 to see if the boiler stops working.

if it does then a replacement thermostat is required

Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

Disconnecting the WR1 is what I meant to say not WN1

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Strangest thing has just happened, I have switched the SMT to manual and stuck it on 18 degrees and it now appears to be working (12 hours and counting). The correct info is sent to the WR1 and the boiler comes on when it should and switches off when it should. Any thoughts on what is going on? I'm afraid to switch it back to timer in case it stops working again.
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

How strange unless its just a coincidence.

I will opt out of this.

Maybe another engineer can advise you further.

Best regards

Brian

Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like the relay on the receiver has been sticking.

Have you have had any problems since?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, over the last few days the boiler is working well as long as I keep the SMT on manual. When I switch it to auto (timer function) it works for a bit but then sticks on full blast at a random time. The weird thing is that the SMT and WR1 always show the same thing (both on or off) but the boiler does its own thing when I use the timer function on the SMT.
Really appreciate if you can shed any light on this.