Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

Rick, I have re-pressurised the system. The boiler kicks in

Customer Question

Hi Rick,
I have re-pressurised the system. The boiler kicks in and promptly empties the system. The overflow is showing no water and there are no leaks in the system that obvious at this point. Could there be another cause
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

Hi ,no if your pressure is dropping you have an escape of water somewhere.

You state that an overflow is dry. Is this the Copper pipe sticking out of the wall on otherside of boiler.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's plastic but yes it is the overflow
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

A plastic pressure relief vent ?? are you sure your not looking at a condensate pipe.

The pipe i am talking about should be copper due to the extreme temperatures it may have to withstand if the boiler goes wrong.it will usually terminate close to the ground and it will normally be the other side of the wall that the boiler hangs on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay found the copper pipe but still nothing flowing. I've checked all the ceilings and floors and lifted a few boards. I can't hear or see anything
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

what happens to the pressure gauge when the boiler heats up and how quickly does the pressure drop after its been on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Filled to 1.2 bar boiler runs as normal. Central heating comes on but the hot water is very slow to heat. Hall thermostat is set at 18C so heating shuts off within an hour. It drains quickly in around an hour until 0.5 bar when the boiler cuts out it slows down and will take 2.5-3 hours to empty completely
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

I will opt out for you as i cant help you any further.

Hopefully there will be someone with a solution other than you have a leak.

Good luck with this.

Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

You have no water running from the pressure relief or the condense pipework?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Nothing from either exit pipe. No sign of leaks. Filled and bled system which drains out over three hours