Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

I have an Ariston Condensing wall hung OH boiler. It's

Customer Question

Hi, I have an Ariston Condensing wall hung OH boiler. It's located in my garage. Every year I seem to get issues when winter arrives. Its 8c outside just now and I have my digital controller set to off in the house but every so often the boiler kicks in and starts to heat my radiators. To get it to stop I physically need to go out to the garage and turn the boiler off. I can also sometimes get the boiler to cut out if I turn the dial with the heating temp regulation knob down.
Its as though the boiler is constantly trying to maintain the temp dictated by the Temp regulation knob and to do this it will fire up and heat the whole house up.
Thanks G
Category: UK Plumbing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the past Ive got around this by setting the boiler to kick in for 20/30 mins at 3/4 hour intervals during the day during cold snaps..however that doesnt appear to be working now and its relatively mild outside so this doesnt appear to be a frost protection related issue. It appears that the boiler is trying to keep the water temp across my entire central heating system at a constant temp as dictated by the temp knob. If I set the temp knob to its lowest setting the boiler cuts out and doesn't come back on however when I move the dial back up to the radiator symbol it kicks in and starts heating the house.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

You need to check the frost stat is working correctly. It sound like its set to high or has failed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Frost Stat indicator isn't appearing on the display when the boiler fires up. Reading the user manual it says the Frost Stat probe is measuring the temp of the central heating water circuit, which is warm and in some instances 30c+ . The manual says the frost stat will respond when the central heating circuit drops bellow 8c. Agree it could be the frost stat but find it strange the boiler display isnt displaying "F" as it should when it kicks into anti frost mode. Also as mentioned, when I turn the knob that controls the central heating water temp down the boiler cuts out - if it was a frost stat issue surely this wouldn't happen. Its as though the boiler is trying to maintain the temprature of the entire central heating system at a temp dicated by the temp control knob. The problem is that if I leave the temp knob at its lowest setting when I turn the boiler on from inside my house the central heating system is cold and the boiler wont fire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Frost Stat indicator isn't appearing on the display when the boiler fires up. Reading the user manual it says the Frost Stat probe is measuring the temp of the central heating water circuit, which is warm and in some instances 30c+ . The manual says the frost stat will respond when the central heating circuit drops bellow 8c. Agree it could be the frost stat but find it strange the boiler display isnt displaying "F" as it should when it kicks into anti frost mode. Also as mentioned, when I turn the knob that controls the central heating water temp down the boiler cuts out - if it was a frost stat issue surely this wouldn't happen. Its as though the boiler is trying to maintain the temprature of the entire central heating system at a temp dicated by the temp control knob.
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a cylinder?