Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience:  30 Years on the tools, now retired, Ex CORGI
15546140

I have just had a new house built. I have 4 ensuites and a

Customer Question

I have just had a new house built. I have 4 ensuites and a bathroom. The water pressure coming into the house is very good. However, if I switch a tap on, the pressure in other taps and showers drops considerably. Is this a design fault of the plumbing installation? It seems ridiculous that I cannot shower in the morning if either of my daughters are showering as the pressure drops to a dribble. Can this situation be rectified or do I have to live with it.
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

The standing pressure may be good but the running pressure may also be good but the flow rate poor.

The first test should be a pressure gauge on the pipework and monitor whether it drops when you run taps - it may be a pipe sizing problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We put a pressure gauge on a shower and it was great. We then turned on a tap in the bathroom and the shower pressure dropped. We then turned a second tap on, in the kitchen, and the pressure from the shower was dreadful. We have also tried a larger pipe from the mains to the tank and that had no effect.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any more suggestions please

You have a restriction in your pipework if it has been good in the past. You say the shower is fed from the tank (or cylinder?)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, been busy and forgot to check e mails. The pressure has always been bad when several taps/showers are running, so I don't think it would be a restriction in the pipe work. They are all fed from the tank.