Brian
Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.
63187465

We have a 5 year old boiler with hot water tank and the old

Customer Question

Hi
We have a 5 year old boiler with hot water tank and the old cold water tank in the loft. Our central heating is getting no where near hot enough despite having wall stat up to highest temp (set at 30 and it never reaches 15 in the hall). Upstairs rads get fairly warm, downstairs Luke warm. When the hot water comes on they all get cold so we have to leave that off to get any kind of heating! Pump appears to be working fine, diverter valve recently replaced, that's fine. Replaced battery's in the wall stat, still nothing. At a loss now! Thank you
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

I would be turning up at your property with a pump.

Can you tell me why you think the pump is working fine. is the spindle spinning at a good speed when you take out the centre screw. Also can you turn it up to number three and see if that improves the situation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiPump is set to highest number and we have checked it and it appears to be working. You can hear it running. We have a lot of old lead pipe around the property, could it be anything to do with that? Thanks
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

I cant see that lead pipe will have any effect but it may be getting blocked. A pump will sound as if its running but quite possibly the impellor is not turning.

I will opt out for now and maybe someone else will be able to come up with a better solution for you.

Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

It definitely sounds like a circulation problem, if you are sure the pump is fine, then it must be down to water quality.

Time to get your system flushed to cure this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the help, it ended up being an issue with the heat exchanger.
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

Was it blocked