Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience:  30 Years on the tools, now retired, Ex CORGI
15546140

I have 5 hot taps in a house running off a gravity water

Customer Question

I have 5 hot taps in a house running off a gravity water tank fed cylinder. 4 taps run hot, the 5th tap has good pressure but is cold? It is not as cold as the cold tap which is mains pressure. I have no idea where the cold water is coming from and why it doesn't behave as the other hot taps?
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any mixer taps in the house?

This can be caused by a faulty tap letting cold water into the hot pipework.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi AndrewThanks for your response, its not that.
I have located the problem and resolved it now but thanks anyway.Best regardsBruce

No problem.

Always happy to help and even happier to listen if it was something strange!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here you go then Andrew. It was a combination of two issues. There was an air lock preventing hot water getting to the one tap but I didn't find that out initially as there was water coming out but it was cold. The only place this could be coming from was the cold water tank in the loft as it wasn't mains. On inspection the hot water pipe from the cylinder that overflows into the cold water tank in the loft had slipped and the end was below the water line. With an airlock in pipe leading to the problem tap and the end of the hot water pipe in the cold water tank, when the tap was opened cold water was sucked through the hot water pipe from the cold water tank and flowing by gravity through the hot water tap. Once the pipe was elevated out of the cold water tank no water flowed indicating an airlock which was resolved through forcing mains cold through the first mixer tap.CheersBruce

Thanks for the information.

Cold water through the hot tap by siphonage - that different.