Brian
Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.
63187465

I have stupidly managed to allow my oil burning boiler run

Customer Question

I have stupidly managed to allow my oil burning boiler run out of oil and I'm fairly sure I have to bleed purge the system. I have a Greenstar Heatslave 18/25 External with a Danfoss BFP 11 L3 pump. I'm not sure how to go about purging the boiler though. Can you help?
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

hi its pretty simple and here is a little video to help

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ho1weA4d3ac

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian, I spotted this video, the only problem is the fitted brass bleed valve is set vertically and I cannot get the Alan key to turn at all. Can I remove or turn the bleed valve instead? I cannot also see how I am going to avoid getting oil all over the valve. See attached pic!
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

hi again firstly try undoing the oil line obviously turn it off first then undo it a little turn it on until oilcomes out of the pipe tighten it up and try to fire the boiler push reset upto 5 times if or when it locks out.

if that dooesnt work then yes put a spanner on the stem and crack it open press reset as soon as oil comes out tighten it up the boiler should fire if not keep trying. you need to just crack it open a quarter turn or so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian, I have removed the incoming oil pipe, I had a very small amount of oil come out. I have left the valve open for a few minutes and have had anything more. Any ideas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian sorry that last message didn't read too well. Basically no more oil since the first small amount.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian, tried sucking on the pipe got the oil flowing. Had to crack the stem too but it is now all working! Thank you!!
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

Thats brilliant glad your all sorted. Well done.