Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

I have an Ideal ICOS HE15 boiler, and it has started to make

Customer Question

I have an Ideal ICOS HE15 boiler, and it has started to make a loud clicking and banging noise. The heating and hot water work fine. However, the boiler sometimes sounds like it is about to go bang. I have read it could be kettling and to use some kind of clearer to remove any deposit build up. In addition to this, I have noticed the boiler always has the flashing C displayed, and fires up even when the timer is off. Any ideas of what to check before spending money on a plumber.
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

If the boiler is displaying C, then there is no demand and it is probably just keeping the plate heat exchanger up to temperature so there is not a long lag when opening the tap.

You should check the plate heat exchanger is not scales to start with

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would this account for the banging noise too?

Banging is due to poor circulation or blocked heat exchanger, the water is boiling as it is moving too slow

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would you recommend draining and then using Sentinel X800 Ultimate Cleaner to remove any sludge?

The descaler is good, but you have to remove the heat exchanger and place it in a bucket with it