Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

Having trouble with my potterton Suprima 80L boiler. Bled

Customer Question

Having trouble with my potterton Suprima 80L boiler. Bled the radiators yesterday and the heat was on. A few hours later we discovered it was off. Turned the boiler off and checked the pressure this morning. It was very low. We added in water until pressure increased to above 1 (and checked the radiators for air periodically while doing so). The heat is still not working, although the hot water seems to be. The green light is solid and red flashing. Have turned everything off and reset the system several times all to no avail. Is there something else we can do or do we need to call a plumber?
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

Is the water pressure still around 1.5 bar when you are having this problem?

Are you losing water through the PRV outside?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to the water pressure and no to the PRV outside.

Can you confirm this is the boiler as the Suprima is a heat only boiler for vented systems.

Where is the pressure gauge?

http://www.acwilgar.co.uk/boiler-manual-pdf/potterton/potterton%20suprima%2030,40,50,60,70,80.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a suprima -it says Suprima 80L on the unit. the door panel is on the side. There are two lights - one red and one green. The boiler is in the loft, which is not very easy to access. I closed it & removed the ladder moments before I saw your message. I was monitoring email as this noted I'd receive that as well, which by the way I have not. I don't remember specifically where the pressure gauge is but I can promise you I have the correct model/version.

Ok, perhaps a pressurised system conversion?

The gauge must be near the filling point and seperate expansion vessel.

I say this because the boiler is controlled by the motorised valve near the cylinder, can you locate it as we need to observe it while we turn on the heating then the hot water seperately.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please explain the motorised valve a bit more - where do I find that? Here's the manual? http://library.plumbase.co.uk/flipbooks/RE/pttsupr80l_23781_t/pttsupr80l_23781_t.html#p=12
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will take me a while to get into the loft and we're about to have dinner. Can you explain the process?

This is a motorised valve, you will have one in a T shape or 2 straight through valves, I will need to know which.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ;-( Unfortunately your timing is a bit off. Give me 5-10 minutes to get into the loft & I'll let you know.

I will wait for your reply, is your cylinder up there too?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to take the ladder apart & make it longer to get in. In the absence of doing that here are pics of the system.

Ok - 2 valves, an S Plan system.

One for your hot water and one for your heating.

Simple now.

Each one opens, one when you turn your hot water on and the other is faulty.

Check which lever goes slack when you turn on the hot water and the other valve need attention.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the other valve needs attention? What attention specifically? And what do you mean when you say the lever goes slack? Will it move? And where's the lever? I only see hoses? I'm going to eat and then go into the loft to follow up.....15-20 minutes.

The 2 silver boxes against the wall are Honeywell 2 port valves.

When the valve is open the lever on the end of the valve goes slack.

The valve that does not open will be faulty and will need a new motor or new head- an easy swap.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh. That's something I'll need a plumber for. So is it coincidental it happened when I bled the system or is it related?

I think you are just unlucky.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lol. Going to check now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only the red light was on when I turned on the water so I turned on the heat. Same thing. Should I turn off the heat and hit the reset button?

The red light where?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on the side panel. The green light is not on. previously the red light was flashing & the green solid - even after resetting.

Ok, that is telling you it has failed to light.

Can you see through the viewing window if it lights?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked in before and it was just dark. It's hard to believe I'd see a flame when I look in it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe the hot water was off before as well & I just didn't know it because there was still water in the tank.

Yes, possibly.

You will know if the pump is running - if it is then the boiler should be firing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pump is not running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Previously it started when I hit the reset. Then the green light was solid & the red flashing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I still didn't see a flame

That is the boiler failing to light then.

You may be able to cure this with a boiler service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to call a plumber ;-( There's nothing I can do tonight?

Sorry, not a lot we can do now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
kk. One last question. As before, is it coincidental or due to the pressure falling when I bled the system?

I can see no connection with what you have done and the fault that has happened.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
kk. Thanks. Just went up and it's back to red light flashing and green light on. Pump isn't on though.

If the green light is on then the boiler is being told to go

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what should I do. this is where we started. Green light on red flashing. I don't see a light in the window.

Ok, it is not lighting, if it was not being told to light then you would not get the red light.

I think I misunderstood your first comment and went a different route.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. It's late.....I guess I have to call a plumber tomorrow.

Like I say, come back if they get stuck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
kk.