Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience:  30 Years on the tools, now retired, Ex CORGI
15546140

Over the last fortnight or so my boiler has started to

Customer Question

over the last fortnight or so my boiler has started to function temperamentally. The boiler is a Glowworm Fuelsaver 45F. I have noticed: 1, usually it's fine and operates as normal; 2, sometimes the fan is audibly operating, but it takes 10-15mins for it to ignite, 3 sometimes (as is the case now) the fan doesn't even start. The system is conventional, and controlled by a Drayton three-port. Any ideas?
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried lubricating the fan with WD40 to see if it starts straight away?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andrew, I was going to do that but after removing the boiler casing, the fan appears to be encased like a car turbo. The casing itself looks riveted too, so I can't see any clear access to lubricate the impeller.Eventually, it started earlier. Usual stages: first the fan started working, then after a good while it finally ignited. Could these symptoms be caused by a faulty pressure switch?

Even if the fan is encased, you can usually get tio the fan spindle and motor, if you lubricate there then let me know if the fan starts sooner