Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

I have a leak from the return union on my radiator which

Customer Question

I have a leak from the return union on my radiator which needs replacing, but I can't stop the water flowing to remove and replace it
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

You will have to turn both valves off and drain the radiator into a tub, if this does not work then you will have to drain the system

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe my question was a bit vague, problem solved now, drained system, removed offending union, capped pipe and refilled. I guess my question should have read, why, when I have turned the boiler off and mains water supply off do I still have water leaking from the union, where is the pressure being created in a disconnected return pipe, the radiator is upstairs by the way.

The water will leak from the radiator until the system is empty, the system is either fed from a tank or has been pressurised from the boiler so is a totally separate system