Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

I have a main 24he I replaced ball valve on filling loop

Customer Question

I have a main 24he I replaced ball valve on filling loop repressured the boiler it fires up for 5 seconds then goes out and in this process the burner light does not come on at all
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

Can you confirm the pump is running, the cap on the auto airvent for the pump and that all the valves under the boiler are all still on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing has been touched pump is on it ignites comes on for 10 secs but the burner light does not come on I'm just wondering I took the ball valve out which fills the water what's the chances there's a air lock and the pressure switch won't click the burner on
Cheers

Does it continue to tick even when lit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Heating has clicked on 3 times now & a 4th now flame failure on now and burner light has never come on

You said it ignites?

Two answers ago, does it not light now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Andrew it's ignited 3 times but the flame light won't come on at all then it goes into flaim failure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I've been a pain in the arse if u think of anything can you let me know tomoz
Many thanks

This is important - does it light, or just go through the motions and you think it is lit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It lights up you have a full flame for 5 seconds then it goes to a half flame then cuts out but the flame light on boiler never comes on at all

ok, the boiler is working correctly as it fires and tries to heat up, but sounds like the thermostat shuts it off.

Can you check the pump is spinning because it sounds like you are not getting circulation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pump is definitely spinning round this what I can't get my head around seen has all I did was remove the ball valve and it lost some water when I took it out

The pump could be airlocked?

Have you tried with the centre screw of the pump removed to release any water trapped in the pump?

Put a small tub under to catch any water that drips

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've just turned it on again it goes threw its motions lights for 5 seconds full flame then half flame then turns off then does same again but threw all this the flaim light never comes on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm thinking same will try now

The flame light only comes on once the boiler knows it is lit.

Try cleaning all the electrodes in the combustion chamber and see if it improves also.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cleaned it all out yesterday I've let the water out threw the pump tried it again and it's now gone into flame failure

It will try 3 or 4 times to light and then it will lock out like that.

Does it definitely stop sparking once it is lit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's does I'm stood watching it go threw it process now then it's gone into flame failure again

Are you able to check to see if the gas valve gets power?