Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

I have a Potterton Profile 80e which is circa 10 years old.

Customer Question

I have a Potterton Profile 80e which is circa 10 years old. It has had problems firing up - please see attached you tube video https://youtu.be/4tTUETedbnM
A local plumber mate came round and suggested changing the PCB and air pressure switch. These were both changed and still no improvement it can go through the firing up the boiler stage 20 times before catching.
To me it seems better first thing when the boiler is cold rather and the programmer has only just given it the signal.
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

I cannot open the video?

If the boiler is trying to fire at all, then it has been given the go signal.

We need to see how far it is getting through the ignistion sequence to see what is wrong - it may simply be a defective ignition lead.

The firing sequence is;

Fan runs, APS clicks, Ignition ticking, Gas valve opens, Boiler fires.

You should hear all these noises with your ear against the case

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andrew, I hadn't realised the link was private before. You should now be able to see it.
Does this help with the analysis? The pilot light is lit the whole time....

ok, once lit does it continue to spark or tick?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Once lit ( takes many sequences) it does not continue sparking or ticking.

ok, it knows it is lit then.

You should check voltage to the gas valve solenoid, if there is power then swap it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andrew, I am struggling to identify the gas valve solenoid. I have a picture of a replacement part (from ebay) but can't find anything similar though guess it may be one of the red things in the attached photo...? Can you confirm and if so which one etc.
Thx Gavin

Ok, the two red ones.

One is the pilot solenoid and the other for the main burner.

One will live while it starts ticking and the other should become live as well once it has stopped ticking and the pilot is lit

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Putting a meter across the terminals of both solenoids separately, I couldn't get a consistent or meaningful reading. What voltage should I be expecting to see? and is it AC or DC so I know how to set my tester gauge?

Try 24v ac, use your meter at one connection at a time but ignore the blue or black that link each other.

Put the other lead against the metal case