Brian
Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.
63187465

I've lived in my flat years and embarrassingly I have lived

Customer Question

I've lived in my flat for 4 years and embarrassingly I have lived with the fact my shower only provides hot water all this time. I had a plumber come in earlier this year who said I needed a new shower but this made no difference. My shower is over my bath where I'm able to get hot and cold water (although the hot is the cold and the cold is the hot). I have a combi boiler so was thinking that maybe it could be I've had the wrong shower installed. I would mind if I could control the temp of the hot but at times it is so hot you can't shower. Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to call out another plumber that doesn't know what he's doing. Thanks
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** have been in the plumbing & heating trade for approximately 15 years. I will be helping you today. if you could give us the make and model of the shower please.
If its thermostatic and you have the hot and cold the wrong way round this could well cause the problem your experiencing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian, thanks for your response. This would make sense especially as the mix up with the taps in the bath. I can't remember 100% the exact shower I used to have before the plumber changed it but I think it was a Mira and looked similar to Element SLT EV. Attached is an image of the one I have now and the POOR job the plumber did at installing. I look forward to your response. Thanks, Aisha
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Hi Aisha.
This is a thermostatic valve if its plumbed the wrong way round the right hand pipe going into the wall will be hot.
Have you discussed your problem with the plumber as his suggestion has not resolved the issue?
in the meantime you may have a temperature gauge for hot water on your boiler. when you shower you could turn this down.
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they suggested that maybe I needed a combi force shower. So to change this, I'm guessing it's a pretty big job. Removing all tiles etc. how much should something like that cost and how long should it take a plumber? Will they need to change it around for the taps in the bath as we'll then?
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Your shower valve is fine you don't as far as I can tell need a combi force shower.
You never said if the right hand side of the shower gets hot first you need to hold both of the nuts that go into the wall and say which one gets hot first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's all just one hot temperature. I don't really understand the second part of your response
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
You showed me a picture of your shower there are two pipes that go into the wall
one is hot one is cold when you first turn the shower on it should be the left hand side that gets hot first.
But it doesnt matter.
my suggestion to you would be to find a new plumber try and get one recommended by a neighbour or friend.
I cant indicate a price to do the work you requested as I cannot see what is really needed.