Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

I live in a three storey Edwardian house and we've recently

Customer Question

I live in a three storey Edwardian house and we've recently had an unvented cylinder fitted. However, the water pressure/flow isn't what I'd hoped for.
When I turn on a tap, the water gushes out for a few seconds, but then slows right down. In addition, if I turn on the bath taps (on the 1st floor) the shower stops on the 2nd floor.
Category: UK Plumbing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

What is the water pressure like from the cold taps on the same bath?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cold tap has decent pressure if I turn just that tap on; but if I start the hot tap in the bath also, the flow seems to be shared between the hot and cold taps.This means that if I turn the hot tap on fully (with the cold tap already running) the cold tap will almost stop completely. To run a bath, I have to "balance" the hot and cold taps, perhaps running both at about 50%

It sounds like the water pressure to the house is too low.

Have the water board being doing any work, how is your neighbours water?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Neighbours haven't reported any issues. The plumber read the pressure from our garden tap and it read 4 bar.The initial pressure that I get from the hot water cylinder seems fine, but then it drops away.Is it possible that the pressure is OK but that the flow into the house is low (perhaps the mains pipe is small)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The taps on the bath are old. Can't reproduce the same situation with the kitchen taps (which are brand new ceramic disc things) if that helps

The higher up you are, the less pressure you will have from the mains.

If you have good pressure to start with and then it drops off then there could be a restriction in your mains water pipe.

Is your main stoptap fully on, try turning off and then all the way back on again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Interesting. I've checked the main stoptap and it is fully on. Is there any way that I can test the mains water pipe?

You can only check pressure with a gauge on you washing machine tap.

Flow can be measured into a measuring jug in your bath.

It would be interesting to know how many litres per minute you are getting on each floor