Brian
Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.
63187465

I have a Potterton Kingfisher 2 (fairly old) and

Customer Question

I have a Potterton Kingfisher 2 (fairly old) and lately the HW (i think its same with CH too) isnt working at all or very unreliably. I tried a few things and got some advice and it seems to be related to the honeywell 3 way valve. When i pushed it from auto to manual it stuck in the goove nicely (and was lots of resistance when pushing it) and when i pushed controls of HW to ON the boiler fired up nicely. I let it heat a bit then switched to timer. The shower was hot this morning although the valve had gone back to auto i noticed. Do u think i need to replace the valve (the motor feels like its working ok as when held its warm and i can feel vibration)... thanks for any help! Aidan
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Hi AidanIts not unusual for them to fail. you will need to change the head the motor may be working and warm but its often the cam that goes.Can you tell me how many pipes are on the valve 2 or 3.
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
If its just the head its quite easy to change no plumbing required
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian...the honeywell valve has 3 pipes going into it (it sits on top a 'T' section kind of thing with the motor's pipe being the vertical section of the 'T')...hope that helps? Its gone back to auto now for a few days and seems to be running normally now...what do u think? thanks
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Its a three port valve and quite possibly it was sticking. if it happens again if you turn the power off completely to the central heating system. You can remove the screw that holds the silver lid to the box you will then see two screws diagonally opposite each other, if you remove these the head will come off, get a pair of pliers and twist the cam to and throw a few times it doesn't move far so don't try to force it round. See if it rectifys the problem. if not its probably the valve head and you can buy this separately.