Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience:  30 Years on the tools, now retired, Ex CORGI
15546140

Rick, I have a problem with dhw on my boiler. Hot only when

Customer Question

Hi Rick, I have a problem with dhw on my boiler. Hot only when heating on. I changed the diaphragm on the diverted as it was perished. Diverter is operating the micro switch which appears to be doing its job. I'm getting about 4 volts through it? Boiler still will not fire up when I demand hot water. Temperature thermistor reads about 13000 ohms cold. Any idea what could be wrong? Glass fuses on pcb are okay.
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.
Does the boiler not fire when you you turn on the hot tap?With the boiler off can you hear it click when you run the hot tap?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the micro switch is operating. I am getting about 4 volts through it. I tested the thermistor also. It gives me around 13000 ohms.
4V? Both sides?What happens if you turn the power off and test continuity through it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4v one side when no demand and then 4v the other side when switch activates. I took the micro switch off. There is continuity through it and when I activate the switch continuity moves through to the other connection. I thought this was working normally but don't know what the voltage should be.
You should be getting at least 12v through it, can you follow it backwards to see if it is a poor connection?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah got you now. Sorry Andrew. You meant input and output of micro switch. Yeah I have only 4v at the constant live. I'll try trace it back, see where/if I get 12. If not the connections is it likely the pcb?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andrew, I must have had a bad earth before! I'm getting more voltage through micro switch now. Readings as below.
No demand
C: 10v, NO: 26v & NC: 10v
On demand
C: 22v, NO: 22v & NC: 10v
Is this normal? Any ideas now?
Thats better -around 24v and it should be working, but if it is not firing then it is a suspect relay on the PCB.You may have to buy a new PCB to cure this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh no! That's what I didn't want to hear. Would you change the pcb now if you were on a call out? Would you try change the relay if it was your boiler? Where would this relay be in the circuit. There is a diagram on the cover of the electrical box. I'm a meccy fitter to trade sparks on hand.
Try and get a recon one online first