Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience:  30 Years on the tools, now retired, Ex CORGI
15546140

We have a Vokera Compact he boiler that is not firing up, it

Customer Question

We have a Vokera Compact he boiler that is not firing up, it tries to and then stops and the red light goes on. Any thoughts?
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.
So it is making the normal noises - fan, etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it does for about 5 secs, then the red light light comes on and it stops, then it tries again and repeats the process
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We need to go out soon so happy to chat now or I'll have to come back to this later
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to go now and for some reason the hot water has now come on, have no idea why
We need to know if it actually lights and if it continues to spark after it is lit before going to lockout
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi There, I'm back online. Is it still possible to have a phonecall or shall we carry on with messages?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So it takes about 3/4 secs to light, then stays on for about 2 secs then goes out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and then just now it has fired up and stayed fired up but it means we have got the heating on to be able to have the hot water
Do you think you have been lucky to get it to light? You may find a service will clear this fault when the electrodes are checked and cleaned. Now we know everything work but it just fails to light, the most it will cost you is a set of electrodes and a lead
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your suggestion. The couple of times it has stayed a light, I haven't done anything different, it has just happened by chance. I will get someone to check the electrodes. Someone else suggested it might be overheating and that is why it fires up but then cuts out. Is this possible?
Not really, the boiler would need to run for at least 30 seconds before it would overheat. If it overheated then it would not try to start at all.