Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

Having issues with ideal mini c24

Customer Question

Having issues with ideal mini c24
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** have been in the plumbing & heating trade for approximately 15 years. I will be helping you today. If you could expand on this please.
thanks in anticipation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian getting no HW or CH from Ideal Mini C24 fan works fine air switch clicks then nothing from gas valve, no spark or ignition
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Presuming it's the PCB if that's the case is it the full sequence PCB I require? Gas valve was replaced but nothing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to take the ignition lead off and hold it 2mm away from metal case and see it it sparks then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andrew, when you say metal case where exactly do you mean
When you have the front cover off, remove the ignition lead from the electrode and then hold it a couple of mm away from the metal case of the boiler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing. Just does the usual fan starts air pressure switch clicks then nothing.
It may be clicking, but the microswitch may have failed.Do you have a meter to check it is actually switching?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a multimeter how do i go about checking do its switching. When I tested the dark blue wire from the air pressure switch/ overheat stat to see the the gas valve received 240v as instructed by ideal it only gave a reading of about 25v
Ok, it should switch 240v, can you check all the wires to the APS and see if you have 240v to start with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andrew,Unless in doing something wrong it's only ever reading between 20-25 volts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any ideas? I've ordered an ignition PCB as I can't continue to go without hot water 😩
Good idea.Let me know how you get on when you swap it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you agree it's the most likely cause as gas valve APS and fan have been replaced.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fingers crossed then, I will let you know in the morning how it goes. I signed up to Scottish Gas for boiler cover for a year until I replace for a HE system and they refused me due to my flue system being incorrect.As it stands the flue system runs as follows, a horizontal extension runs from boiler elbow out of wall and into a 90 bend it's then at a slight angle to take the flue 400mm away from a window opening running vertical up the wall approx 900mm into another elbow supported by two brackets then a section approx 175mm long projecting out from the elbow as the flue. I'm a downstairs flat and they have said flue is incorrect and requires a flue guard however the flue projects 14" out from wall and deepest guard I can find is 10.5"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still nothing
Anything lower than 2m should have a flue guard.The flue should be nonger than 3m and every 90 degree bend takes 1m off the length
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's above 2 meters from me but there's an upstairs flat it's approx 400mm below there door enterence and about 600mm across from there door. So would a guard be required?
As the flue projects out 13" and the deepest guard I can find is 10.5" would u build a frame underneath the guard?