Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

Hi, I have a glow worm 30cxi boiler which was leaking from

Hi, I have a glow worm 30cxi boiler which was leaking from the main heat exchanger as the condense drain was completely blocked up with sludge, having dismantled it and flushed it all out the boiler now works ok, with the exception that there is still some air leaking from the seal between the heat exchanger and the burner/gas fan assembly. When I was refitting it the seal appeared to be too small in diameter, can it be reused or should I have used a new one? Or just try and fit it better? Also there are shed loads of forums detailing problems with glow worm 30cxi, can you recommend any preventative measures to save problems with these boilers in the future?
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
i noticed a fair amount of time has passed since you posted your question. are you still seeking help? i would like to help if i can. thank you canuck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still waiting for an answer from just answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
No answer at all!
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the wait, as far as seals go whenever removing anything always replace the seal with a new seal. the best preventative care you can do is flush the system once per year. it will keep scale buildup to a minimum and allow ultimate performance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's the best inhibitor to use in the system?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

there are all kinds of super duper chemical solutions that are used. i use vinegar. it is extremely effective breaking up scale and safe to use in the water system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I not need a rust inhibitor in the system?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
my personal opinion is that as long as you keep the air out of the system that is the best inhibitor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the condenser was blocked with black carbon sludge, should I attempt to make the boiler burn more efficiently or is it normal with condenser boilers and all I can do is clean it out regularly?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
the sludge may be an indication that the gas valve is defective and supplying too much fuel. replacing or working on the gas valve is not a diy project though. i would have technician check that out for you. if you contact the manufacturer they can recommend a service person in your area.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience: 20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.