Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience:  30 Years on the tools, now retired, Ex CORGI
15546140

I have have glow worm boiler controlled by Siemens remote portable

Customer Question

I have have glow worm boiler controlled by Siemens remote portable thermostat. The Ch is not coming on but the HW is working fine - can you help
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Rick Ridley replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Rick, UK Plumber, and I specialize on Boiler problems, is this a combi or system boiler, Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's a combi
OK as no motor valve is involved it is most likely your batteries have gone in the portable room thermostat, Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Battery fine as it displays all the settings
OK is there a status light on the receiver? does it register when you turn the room stat up and down, Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There was green light before on the recieved but now no lights on unless I reset it or press the communication failure button but then still no status lights showing
OK so it is a problem with your radio room stat, first thing to do is change the batteries, while the display may be good there may not be enough power for the transmitter, Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Changed the battery on remote thermostat but the receiver appears to have given up the ghost - there no sign of activity or lights flashing etc

OK there is probably a reset facility, can you give me the model, Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

its a glowworm flexicom 24cx and the remote thermo is a siemens rdj10rf

OK first press test and learn buttons together on the room stat, then press reset on the receiver, if this does not work remove the batteries and turn off the power to the boiler system, for ten minutes turn on the power and with the room stat close to the receiver insert the batteries, they should now talk to each other again, if not it is broke and will need replacing, Rick

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry had to go to bed - tried all the above. Probably the remote has died !
If the above did not sort it then yes, replacement time, Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've fixed it - I found a another blog on the website :

Make sure the thermostat unit has its vertical switch set to 'run' and the horizontal switch set to 'auto'.
2. Loosen the screw holding the thermostat to the wall (situated underneath, just loosen the screw don't take it all the way out). take the unit to the boiler.
3. On the wall unit/receiving unit next to your boiler there are two buttons 'Set' and 'Reset'. press and hold the reset button for 4 secs until orange light starts to flash
4. Then press the 'Set' button on the same unit (the light should flash again.)
5. Press the 'Learn button on the back of the thermostat unit try to be a good meter away from the wall unit /boiler. the lights should flash and then turn green
6. Press the 'test' button on the back of the thermostat. This sends a test signal to the boiler . the green light should come on again. when this has happened press the test button again to switch off the test signal.
This should now work

Glad you got it sorted, clearly there are different versions of this stat as the instructions I have are what I gave you earlier, regards Rick