Dan_Robinson
Dan_Robinson, Plumber
Experience:  Owner and Director of Jennings Heating Ltd. Registered to work with Gas and High pressure hot water systems.
68090965

I have a Ferroli Optimax HE Plus 31 C boiler fitted last year

Customer Question

I have a Ferroli Optimax HE Plus 31 C boiler fitted last year and the boiler keeps tripping with an error message A03. Anyone know what I can do to resolve?

regards.

Derek
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Dan_Robinson replied 2 years ago.

Dan_Robinson :

Hi there,

Dan_Robinson :

This is an overheat problem. You need to check that the system has enough pressure in it and that the pump is operating properly.

Dan_Robinson :

On the top of the pump is a small plastic cap that is part of the automatic air vent. This should be a little loose to allow air out of the boiler.

Dan_Robinson :

Is the boiler under 12 months old? If so you should contact your installer. I am not sure if it would still be covered by Ferroli's warranty, but they have an awful reputation for customer services.

Customer:

Hi Dan,

Dan_Robinson :

Hello :).

Dan_Robinson :

Another thing you could try is changing the pump over run time.

Customer:

It was fitted about 18 months ago by a plumber we have known in the famility for 30 years. He has just retired and moved away!

Customer:

When you say on top of the pump, where do I find the pump?

Dan_Robinson :

I am just trying to find the sequence for changing the settings - bare with me....

Dan_Robinson :

The pump is inside the boiler on the right hand side at the bottom. You will need to remove the front cover.

Customer:

OK- can you bear with me?

Dan_Robinson :

Press the Reset button for 10 seconds to enter/ exit installer mode "TS" displayed."TS" displayed press the reset button again for 1 second to enter parameter mode "P01" will flash in the display.Use the CH +/- to scroll through the parameters & use the DHW +/- to adjust them.

Dan_Robinson :

The setting we want is P16 and it is worth putting it up to 120.

Customer:

I've got to P16 and input to 95. It was at 35.

Customer:

What now?

Dan_Robinson :

Do we have any improvement in the boiler operation? You may have a blocked heat exchanger or by-ass, which is not really a job for a DIY'er.

Customer:

It's tripped again with a fault message of F40

Dan_Robinson :

F40 is the heating pressure being too high... What does the pressure guage on the boiler read?

Customer:

1.25-1.5

Dan_Robinson :

OK, the F40 code is a "blocking" code, rather than a "lock-out" code, which means is should go away naturally. However, the problem persists and will almost certain come back.

Dan_Robinson :

It could well have been occurring before but being masked by the A03 problem.

Customer:

Should I reset

Dan_Robinson :

You can try powering the boiler off and on. It may well go into an initialisation routine for a few minutes.

Dan_Robinson :

We are starting to look like there is some kind of blockage in the boiler that will require a trained hand to pin-point and fix. It cold be a boiler defect, or the installer might not have cleaned the system out properly when the boiler was fitted. It is impossible for me to tell over the interweb.

Dan_Robinson :

Did you get that pressure reading from the boiler or an external gauge somewhere?

Customer:

Ok. So do I need to call a local plumber next?

Customer:

There is a gauge on the bottom right of the boiler

Dan_Robinson :

Ah yes, I see it... tucked out the way... The boiler also has an electrical one inside that is what produced the blocking code.

Dan_Robinson :

The two seldom read the same - even in more expensive boilers.

Dan_Robinson :

It is looking like you need a professional on hand. A word of advise though. Monitor your maintenance costs on this boiler. It is not worth spending significant amounts on. You are better off in the long term saving the money and replacing the boiler in a few years. Hopefully you will have a boiler that once sorted this time will behave. But Ferroli produced a lot of lemons, and are not worth the aggravation in the long run.

Dan_Robinson :

However, a working boiler is a working boiler - so if yours is well behaved, then happy days!!!!

Customer:

Thanks Dan.

Customer:

I guess we now need to move to the next level and call someone round.

Dan_Robinson :

No worries....

Dan_Robinson, Plumber
Experience: Owner and Director of Jennings Heating Ltd. Registered to work with Gas and High pressure hot water systems.