Ask Chamberlain Maintenance Your Own Ques...

Chamberlain Maintenance
Chamberlain Maintenance, Plumber
Experience:  Qualified Plumber with over 17 years experience in Domestic & Commercial plumbing.
60394188

My Mira 415 working from a combi boiler does not get as hot

My Mira 415 working from a combi boiler does not get as hot as it used to do. What can I do about it please?
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The shower is over the bath. I intend to replace the bath with a walk in shower unit and was hoping to keep the Mira shower itself..

The Mira 415, which is now about 14 years old, operates in conjunction with a combi boiler.

Recently in cold weather it has all on to be quite hot enough when the temperature override button is depressed and the knob turned to the limit.

I wondered whether there might be a worthwhule way of overcoming the problem.

I would be interested in your comments.

I am tending to think that it would be wise to get a new thermostatic shower (with a flow control knob) - have you any recommendations? I believe the Mira is not thermostatic - is that correct?

I would appreciate your comments.

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I understand the professional 'needs more information to provide a full answer' but I am not clear what is required.

As mentioned I am getting a walk in shower enclosure and was intending to use the existing Mira 415 shower but the problem that may occur in the winter months re ensuring getting it hot enough is a disincentive unless there is possibly a way of adjusting it etc which would not need a lot of time or expense.

Since raising this question I am thinking the best thing may well be for me to install a new shower - one that is readily controllable. I believe digital ones are very expensive and am wondering about one with with flow adjuster and thermostatic control. It would

have the overhead shower with a diverter for a hand held shower. Actually I believe Mira make such showers but there may be better units.

I would welcome comment and advice on the matters raised please. Thank you.

Expert:  Chamberlain Maintenance replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name isXXXXX's see if I can assist you. Sorry you have had to wait for a response, is your shower an exposed or concealed unit? The temperature of the shower just before the override button is depressed, is this water hot or warm? When you depress the button does the shower get to the temperature you require before the dial will not turn anymore?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Neil.

The unit is exposed.

The temperaturejust before the overide button is depressed is warm.

In answer to your third question the temperature when the dial won't turn any more is just about hot enough.

Ok thank you. Most problems are as you say your unit is quite old now is the filters becoming blocked this will not let as much hot water through to blend with the cold.

Another problem can be if the boiler has been turned down on the hot water side.

A Mira replacement will be about £500+. Aqualisa do a Thermostatic model that should just swap straight over for yours at a much cheaper cost.

If you are a DIY kind of person you can re-collaborate the unit, this will involve turning the dial to the first stop (safety) position (where the button needs depressing) remove the front dial and remove from the spindle turn in your hand (in the air not on the spindle) back towards the cold setting and replace, this now should rotate more towards the first stop safety setting giving you hotter water before the depress of the button. Please let me know if you are not clear on anything and I can try and break it down a bit more for you as there is a lot of info in one reading.
Chamberlain Maintenance, Plumber
Experience: Qualified Plumber with over 17 years experience in Domestic & Commercial plumbing.