Ask Chamberlain Maintenance Your Own Ques...

Chamberlain Maintenance
Chamberlain Maintenance, Plumber
Experience:  Qualified Plumber with over 17 years experience in Domestic & Commercial plumbing.

why is cold water being forced back up the feed pipe from the

why is cold water being forced back up the feed pipe from the hot water cylinder back into the cold water cistern

Hull East Yorkshire
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Chamberlain Maintenance replied 2 years ago.

Chamberlain Maintenance : Hi, my name isXXXXX see if I can assist you. Do you have a mixer valve or a blending valve anywhere?
Customer:

yes I have a mixer tap and a thermostatic value feeding a hand shower fed from the hot water cylinder and cold water mains system

Customer:

Hi just to add to my previous email my plumbing system is an indirect hot water cylinder heated by a wall mounted balanced flue boiler, all cold taps, bathroom and kitchen plus toilets are mains fed and the mixer tap and thermostatic valve I referred to are over a bath. Does that help?

Chamberlain Maintenance : Yes thanks. Do you know if your hot water shut off valve works, also when you say you shut off the stop tap, was this the mains cold water tap?
Customer:

as far as I know the shut off valve works ok and the stop cock (tap) is on the mains fed pipe.

Chamberlain Maintenance : Ok, if you shut off the hot stop valve can you see if the water stops going into the tank, is it hot water that is coming back into the tank? Also how old is the cylinder?
Customer:

thanks for the reply Ill go and check, maybe take a while, will come back to you later.

Customer:

• following on from your last comments there are only three gate valves on the system, two to close off the water pump and the divertor valve for the central heating circuit near the hot water cylinder and the third to close off the previously referred to feed pipe from the water tank to the cylinder. You also asked about the age of the hot water cylinder, if I remember rightly it was replaced about 7 years ago. I am wondering if you are thinking that water is leaking from the heating coil into the cylinder and the main hot water system, I have therefore closed the service valve that supplies the feed and expansion tank for the central heating system to see if the water level drops. Look forward to your reply.

Chamberlain Maintenance : If you can turn off the cold water feed for the hot side also to see if this stops the water going back up to tank.
Customer:

not sure what you mean - do you mean turning off the cold water to the cylinder from the tank or turning off the cold water to the central heating?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
expert has not responded to my latest question on Friday afternoon to his reply regarding my plumbing problem re cold water being forced back up the feed pipe from the hot water cylinder back into the cold water cistern.
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX lets see if we can get you sorted in the shortest possible time. I am trying to follow the previous conversation. Did you turn off the shower pump supplies (hot and cold) and see whether the tank level still rises?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

following from my last reply, and your question re the shower pump, the system is gravity fed so there is no pump involved. In the meantime I have turned off the mains cold water supply feed pipe via the service valve to the mixer tap and thermostatic valve and this appears to have solved the problem of water feeding back from the hot water cylinder into the cold water tank.

If I fit a one way check valve onto the hot water feed pipe to the mixer tap and thermostatic valve would this solve my problem?

Yes this will solve the problem but you will need to narrow down what tap is passing and either re-washer or renew the cartridge.
Chamberlain Maintenance, Plumber
Experience: Qualified Plumber with over 17 years experience in Domestic & Commercial plumbing.