Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience:  30 Years on the tools, now retired, Ex CORGI
15546140

I have a potterton gold combi he that has several problems:

I have a potterton gold combi he that has several problems: Hot water takes an eternity to come though to the taps. And then usually goes cold again after afew seconds. It has never been possible to run a hot bath with this boiler. On occasions the boiler is running (sounds like it is actually heating, and not just the pump running, yet there is no light indicating that there is a demand for water or heating.
Heating: when I turn on the heating with the thermostat, the boiler does not switch on and comes up with an error E1. Reset does no good. I have to run the nearest tap to the boiler to get it to kick in, and then the heating demand light will come on.
The flow control unit has just been replaced, the pump was replaced 1 year ago.
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Rick Ridley replied 2 years ago.
Hi I am Rick, UK Plumber, and I specialize on Boiler problems, E1 is only a part of the fault code two digits will be displayed after E1 can you tell me what these are, Rick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rick,
Don't know if you received my response, but just in case, here it is again.
(I don't expect a reply today, seeing as its Easter Sunday !)
The boiler started ok this morning, but now, after about 2 hours, has an error E1 followed by 68.
The boiler is apparently heating something, (not just the pump running), but both demand lights for water and heating are OFF. The burner indicator is also OFF.
Bar pressure reading is 1.8.
I have operated the 'Reset' switch and the burner indicator and heating indicator have now come on.
Temperature is displaying 80.
The listed fault codes only go up to E160 which is Fan problem and this is not your fault so I will access the Potterton site and see if I can find out what E168 refers to, will come back a little later, Rick
OK it seems this is a fairly common fault and it means a new board, there is a slim chance that one of the connectors to the board can cause it so worth pulling all the plugs and refitting them may just clear it, otherwise a new board, Rick
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience: 30 Years on the tools, now retired, Ex CORGI