Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

Hi, I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 25Si/30Si combo boiler.

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 25Si/30Si combo boiler. The pressure had dropped so I opened the valve to put it up to 1.5bar. The next time I checked it was up at 3 bar and has stayed there since no matter if i turn the heating and water on or off. My husband has bled the radiators but it's still at 3 bar. What do we need to do to get it back down to 1.5bar?
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX lets see if we can get you sorted in the shortest possible time. The filling loop must still be passing. Is it connected with a flexible hose?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, there is a flexible hose. I'm assuming it's the filling loop. It doesn't have a white key for opening the valve like most websites say it should. I used a screwdriver to open it to let water through. One thing I should add is that the one of the radiators downstairs is leaking. My husband has just tried to seal it. I'm not sure what effect that may have had?
You need to ensure that the valves at both ends are off. Either turn them until really tight or ensure the screwdriver type valves are definitely across the pipework. You can take the hose off and this will tell you whether the valve is passing water.
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience: Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The bathroom radiator nearest the boiler has no pressure in it. I tried to bleed it and no air released from it. It's warm at the bottom and cold at the top. Does this mean there is no water getting into it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.Waiting to long
Expert:  Rick Ridley replied 2 years ago.
Hi I am Rick, UK Plumber, and I specialize on Boiler problems, OK looks like two separate problems here, first you need to make sure the filling loop is off and disconnected, if the pressure is stall at 3 bar then bleed radiators till it returns to 1.5 bar, re the bathroom rad if water comes from the bleed then then one or both of the valves are off or there is a restriction at this point, it can sometimes be cleared by turning both valves open fully just remember to count the turns on the lock shiels valve so it can be set back to its original position, Rick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thans, I will try that. Is safe to have the heating on just now?
yes it is perfectly safe, Rick
Been away, I see you are in safe hands so I will let you carry on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My husband has gone to bed as he is working tomorrow and I wouldn't have a clue where to start. I will need to wait until he can get chance to try the suggestions out.. Thanks for your help. I will get back to you.
Wait to hear. Rick
Wait to here, Rick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rick,Sorry we haven't been in touch. We were away for the weekend.I just turned the screw at the top of the filling loop to see if water would pass but it didn't make the normal sound of water whishing through. If I remove the loop as advised will there be a mess of water? If not, which way do I turn the screw to disconnect? The lower end of the loop doesn't have a screw to turn to disconnect that end.The boiler is now making a faint bagpipe type noise.Thanks,JoMy husband is I'll so i'm attempting this on my own.Regards,Joanne
Hi Joanne, if the mains side of the filling loop is turned off then you can remove the loop by unscrewing the connector anti clockwise, when it is disconnected if the mains valve is not shutting off properly then it will continue to discharge water but will not be very fast, if you can direct it to a sink or other wast drain it will be good but let me know, I will be on till about midnight, Rick