Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

We have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30Si fitted. The central

Customer Question

We have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30Si fitted. The central heating has recently stopped working.
The water pressure had dropped so we levelled it but still no joy.
We have replaced the batteries in the thermostat, switched the combi off/on, reset it & run the maintenance cycle. The receiver unit is picking up a signal but the boiler is just not firing.
The boiler is giving hot water and does run the central heating while the maintenance cycle is running.
My guess is ther is a problem between the receiver unit and the combi, any suggestions on how to fix it?
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is Andrew - lets see if we can get you sorted in the shortest possible time. Have you tried sitting the transmitter near the boiler and seeing if it connects better?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, we have positioned the transmitter right next to the boiler. No difference.
Does the receiver flash green or stay red?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Andrew

Sorry for delay

The heating has started working but only intermittently. Very strange.

The receiver has 2 lights, one stays permanantly red when the power is switched on, the other turns green and DOES stay on when the thermostat unit is sending a signal

That is working correctly then? How has it been the rest of today?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
For some reason it has not worked today via the thermostat. We could turn it on manually.
Did you try putting it next to the boiler again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, right next to the boiler. Again, the receiver is showing it is getting a signal but nothing from the boiler. The water pressure does seem to be dropping through the day, but I don't see why that should stop the boiler firing.
The system pressure in the boiler? If it drops too far then it will stop the boiler firing until the boiler is refilled.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The pressure is still in the green zone so should not be the reason it does not fire up
Does the boiler receiver turn green when you ask it to fire up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, but the boiler does not fire up
You must have a relay in the faulty receiver unit not switching the boiler on. It can be the only possibility now.