Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience:  30 Years on the tools, now retired, Ex CORGI

I have a c1 british gas boiler (bosch) and the radiator light

I have a c1 british gas boiler (bosch) and the radiator light flashes thus locking the boiler out. I have to press the reset button 3 or 4 times a day! The boiler is approx 12 years old. Any solutions please?
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Rick Ridley replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Rick, UK Plumber, and I specialize on Boiler problems, if it is flashing slow then it is flame failure or not cross lighting correctly, if flashing fast then we have a sensor problem, the slow flash is probably the one and it can be difficult to cure the problem is the flame sensing electrode is at the opposite end to the spark electrode and while the burner may light it may not go all the way across soon enough to the flame sense electrode, the cure can be difficult, Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Slow flash is correct! What might resolve the problem?
first can I ask does it only fail at startup or at other times, Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Seems to be randomly!
OK the problem with the burner as I said before is that it sometimes does not reliably cross light, this a known problem and no cast iron cure, the manufactures say change the jet and the burner, I have done both with no joy, the very first is to play with the gas pressure to the burner, adjustable at the gas valve, but you must have a manometer to do this, as you must not go outside of the min and max values, if that does not work then I have made small adjustments to the burner in order to encourage flame transfer from one burner plate to the next, but I cannot tell you how to do it on here as it is not accepted practice, I can only say experiment, Rick