Ask Chamberlain Maintenance Your Own Ques...

Chamberlain Maintenance
Chamberlain Maintenance, Plumber
Experience:  Qualified Plumber with over 17 years experience in Domestic & Commercial plumbing.
60394188

I have a Vokera HE compact boiler and the pressure indicator

Customer Question

I have a Vokera HE compact boiler and the pressure indicator is sitting below 0.4 which means the boiler isn't firing up for heating or hot water. There is a filling loop with taps at each end but when I open either end the pressure gauge doesn't rise. Any advice greatly appreciated
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Chamberlain Maintenance replied 2 years ago.

Chamberlain Maintenance :

Hi, my name isXXXXX see if I can assist you. When you open taps can you hear the water going into the boiler, also how long do you leave it for and have you bled the radiators?

Customer:

the boiler is in the off/reset position. There is a loop with flexible pipe with taps at either end - I've opened both of these taps and did not hear any water going into the boiler. The taps were only left open for about 10 seconds as I assumed the water would start immediately once the valve was opened.

Customer:

I haven't bled any of the radiators - the heating worked earlier this morning

Chamberlain Maintenance :

Should do in theory, are they valves with black levers on them?

Customer:

yes

Chamberlain Maintenance :

and when you turned them on were they both facing with the pipe (across the pipe for off)

Customer:

yes - i only turned them on one at a time not both together would that make a difference?

Chamberlain Maintenance :

no but as long as both levers run with the pipe, what you can do is make sure the levers are across the pipe, remove the filling loop (have a dish/bowl handy) you wont get floods of water only a little, then as you look into the valve ends you will see a shiny curved (ball type) object in the middle, hold the bowl or even a towel by the end and turn the lever slowly on one of them and see if the ball starts turning, if so you shoud get a spray of water, turn back off then try the other.

Customer:

Water is coming out of both sides although one side doesn't have the little curved ball - it has a plastic y shape inside.

Chamberlain Maintenance :

This is a none return valve but that's fine, connect up the hose and open the valves again (fully) but leave for a long while as the gauge will not just shoot up to, you may need to vent the radiators aswell.

Customer:

any idea how long I need to leave the valves open for? I'm concerened it will go the other way and the pressure will be too high

Chamberlain Maintenance :

no you will see the gauge rise slowly till 1.5 bar then shut off, if you have a bleed key check the radiators but it may just be the boiler needing topping up, hence hot rads this morning, although the boiler should not fire up, if the pressure does go too high then a valve will open taking the water outside.

Customer:

ok should this be done with the boiler switched to the off/reset position or with the boiler on.

Chamberlain Maintenance :

you can leave the boiler on if you want but can turn it off if you are not comfortable, then open up the valves, it may take about 5-10 secs for the needle to move maybe longer depending on how empty the system is but you want to aim for 1.5 bar in the green.

Customer:

getting there - I now have warm radiators but no water coming from my hot tap

Chamberlain Maintenance :

is the boiler set to HW/CH?

Customer:

yes - I'm not getting any water out the tap

Chamberlain Maintenance :

is the boiler firing up when you open the hot tap?

Customer:

I've got the heating on so the boiler is fired up

Chamberlain Maintenance :

ok, when you open the hot tap in heating mode the boiler should switch to hot water mode as priority, have you opened the hot tap and waited approx 10-20 seconds for hot water to come through?

Chamberlain Maintenance :

also is the hot water temp set to high

Customer:

i've switched the heating off so that the boiler isn't firing. I've opened the hot tap for 30 seconds and no water is coming out. I've checked the hot water temp and its set to half way which is hot enough for baths etc.

Chamberlain Maintenance :

ok have you turned the dial to fully to the tap icon, when you turn open the tap does the boiler try to fire up

Customer:

turned it to the tap icon and opened up the hot tap but the boiler isn't firing up

Chamberlain Maintenance :

does it do this with all taps? it will narrow it down to two things. The water pressure is too low to activate the boiler or the Flow switch itself is faulty and not sensing the water passing through the pipe, easy way to find out if pressure is suitable is to get a bucket that can hold 10 litres and time how long it takes to fill up, you need at least 9ltr per min for the boiler to run.

Customer:

do you mean fill a bucket from the cold water supply?

Chamberlain Maintenance :

the hot water supply, you need a min of 2 litres per min to activate the flow switch, average flow is between 7-9 litres per min.

Customer:

I'm not getting water out of any of the hot water taps

Chamberlain Maintenance :

oh right so not hot water just no water at all, sorry miss read the posts. have you got cold water? If you look under the boiler at the pipe on the right, just where the pipe meats the boiler there is a valve with a lever is this facing with the pipe

Customer:

I've got cold water. I've turned the valve under the boiler and I now have running water from the hot tap and its hot! I must have knocked the valve when I was fiddling about with the filling loop valves. Thanks you for all your help you have been brilliant!

Chamberlain Maintenance, Plumber
Experience: Qualified Plumber with over 17 years experience in Domestic & Commercial plumbing.