Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering

My power shower is running cold. Combi boiler pressure fine.

My power shower is running cold. Combi boiler pressure fine. All other hot water taps fine. What is the best course of action please?
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX lets see if we can get you sorted in the shortest possible time. Can you turn off the cold feed to the shower, turn the shower onto hot and tell me what happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cannot turn off the cold feed. The shower has a single tap which turns right for hot or left for cold. This may not work. Sometimes the shower delivers hot water for a few minutes but then it turns to cold.
Can you not get to the pipework that feeds the shower and see if there any valves on it? It does sound like a faulty thermostat in the shower, but i am trying to prove it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Andrew,

The pipework is behind the shower closet so I'll have to take the back off in the bedroom. Can't do that right now but will do so tommorrow and get back to you.

Many thanks,

Adrian McKeon
No problem - if you can isolate the cold we will know. Come back to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Andrew,

I switched the cold off and ran the hot. The boiler did not kick in, the water remained cold and the jet was weak. I switched of the hot, turned on the cold and a strong jet of cold water came through. I then switched both on and tried adjusting the tap but nothing changed - the shower still ran cold.

Many thanks,

Adrian
It definitely sounds like a shower fault. Can you easily swap it without too much grief?
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience: Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering