Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience:  30 Years on the tools, now retired, Ex CORGI
15546140

Boiler type Worcester Bosch Highflow 400 RSF. The boiler

Customer Question

Boiler type = Worcester Bosch Highflow 400 RSF.
The boiler has been working fine for the three and a half years since we moved into our home in Cheshire. Today there is neither hot water or hot central heating, I've removed the front cover and checked the water pressure is correct on the gauge, the electric supply is fine and the 'On demand' neon illuminates when switching the Water/Off/Water & Central Heater switch to Off and either Water/Water & CH.
We can hear solenoids clicking when altering the temperature dials on the front panel, the Bosch pump is vibrating and warm to the touch, the gas burner fails to ignite or we can't hear it ignite.
The gas feed tto the house is okay as our gas cooker works fine.
Please advise our next course of action, it would be useful if there is some kind of short term fix to provide hot water for our child to shower etc.
Thanks in advance.
Kevin Howarth
Tel: 01270 765624
Mob: 07802 221683
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Rick Ridley replied 3 years ago.
Hi I am Rick, UK Plumber, and I specialize on Boiler problems, can you follow the startup sequence, you should hear the fan, then the metallic click of the gas valve then the rapid click of the spark, unless you have the permanent pilot version, if so is the pilot lit, Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Rick, thank you for your reply. The boiler quietens when switching the electricity off so I assume the fan is running as the noise is constant when switching the electric back on. I can't see an inspection window for a pilot light and there is no piezo-electric ignition so I guess this does not have a permanent pilot light? The gas valve does not click and I can't hear any rapid clicking even when the on demand neon lights up when I turn the temperature dials and switch the Hot Water or CH switch to on.
OK you will need to remove the boiler front panel in order to see what is going on, is this something you feel confident with, Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Rick, yes I've got the front panel off. I'm an IT Engineer so have some test equipment e.g. multimeter to assist although I don't have any gas gear.
OK can you now see a viewing window for the pilot light, Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cannot see any viewing window.
you will need to lower the pressure vessel (one screw) do you have the manual for the boiler, it is not easy to describe the sections that relate, Rick
if you have no viewing window then that will confirm you have electronic ignition, and it could be anything from fan & fan pressure switch to flame sensing & gas valve, from here it could be a lengthy process to locate which one, Rick
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience: 30 Years on the tools, now retired, Ex CORGI
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Rick, many thanks I think you've got us as far as we can go and I'll call in a Heating Engineer tomorrow.
Regards KH
No problem, there is only so much we can do online, regards Rick