Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering

Baxi combi boiler wireless control system does not work. I

Baxi combi boiler wireless control system does not work. I tried all the obvious solutions (incl batteries) but none of the settings have any effect on the boiler operation. Note: the system was working for about 15mths so nothing wrong with location of remote thermostat/controller. However, no matter what setting I have the controller on, off, auto or on, the heating does come on 60 mins after turning the 'mains' switch on - everytime? The catch is that you can't control central heating or switch off other than by mains boiler switch?
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX lets see if we can get you sorted in the shortest possible time. If you have sat it next to the boiler and turned it on - does the receiver show that it has picked up the signal? Flashing light or changing colour (depending on which model you are using)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where is the flashing light, on the boiler?
Yes, on the receiver. It will tell you you are receiving a signal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, a red flashing light

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ligth flashes but boiler is not listening to the controller? Just set it on timer and should currently be 'off' coming on at 15:00. See if the heating actually turns off!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Switched heating off >10mins ago, turned stat down, still on full blast?
It looks like a faulty receiver, that is the part that is supposed to make and break the connection for the heating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What does that mean in terms of replacing or checking out?

Are you willing to disconnect the receiver from the front of the boiler to see if the heating stops?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes. Disconnected at moment, hard to tell if heaTING OFF, SO WAITING FOR RADFS TO START COOLING

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes. Disconnected at moment, hard to tell if heating has gone off. Waiting for rads to starting cooling down.

You should know because the boiler will have stopped firing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did stop firing but when reconnected, if past performance is anything to go by, it will take exactly 60mins for the heating to kick back in. ..............I've put it all back but noticed that the sensor is no longer flashing? Tried changing the setting on the controller but it is still not flashing. I'll wait for the heating to kick back in a check the sensor again.

Is the RF timer contol a common part to fail?

Does the wall mount and the sensor come as a package?

They normally come as a pack, but if you know the make you may be able to get one individually from the manufacturer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
In your experience, is this a part that does fail?
To be honest it is usually the transmitter that fails.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I assume this is the control box/thermostat?
The transmitter is the thermostat end.
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience: Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering