Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience:  30 Years on the tools, now retired, Ex CORGI
15546140

Hello, I have a Bentone B11C worcester 20-25 oil burner.

Customer Question

I have a Bentone B11C worcester 20-25 oil burner. We had a delivery of oil recently since which time, the hot water and central heating have stopped working. We had 130 litres or so in the tank before delivery. I have tried to bleed the system (using the thin copper tube leading from the end of the flexible braided tube into the burner) and pressed the orange lockout light button but this hasn't worked. The odd thing is that oil seeps out of the bleed nipple further back along the line from the thin copper tube and there don't seem to be any bubbles in it but only a few drops come out of the end of the copper tube when unscrewed.

When I press the button, the motor kicks in and after a few seconds, there is a click sound and oil starts to drip slowly out of the end of the copper tube. We have been without heating and water for several days now so if you have any ideas how I can get the system working again, that would be great.

Many thanks in advance,

Seb
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Rick Ridley replied 3 years ago.
Hi I am Rick, UK Plumber, and I specialize on Boiler problems, I would think it likely that debris was disturbed when the tank was filled and has got into the line, you will have a filter either near the tank on near the boiler, the oil should be turned off and this filter removed and cleaned, when replaced and the oil turned back on if you disconnect the oil line to the boiler and place it in a container the oil should flow at a rate of a cup full in 20 seconds, Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Ric,

Thanks for replying. A debris blockage was my first thought as well (we had this happen last time we had a delivery) although I would think that the blockage would be between the bleed nipple screw and the copper pipe oil fead into the burner (there is a braided metal pipe between the two which may contain the blockage if my thinking is correct but I can't unscrew it even using a wrench).

I am a complete novice with this sort of thing though so detailed idiot-proof instructions would be much appreciated!

The last time this happened, I disconnected the direct fead into the boiler which is a thin copper line with a wrench-turnable fitting to disconnect it. Last time, I disconnected that on the advice of the manufacturers and pressed the reset button. When I did that, I had a steady flow of oil come out albeit with a few bubbles which disappeared when I repeated the process. This time, only drops come out, perhaps two drops per second, and it doesn't seem to improve when I repeat.

The other problem is that I don't know what the filter looks like or where to find it. I've checked by the tank and (other than the tank isolation valve) there is no fitting on the pipe before it appears below the ground. The line reappears just before entering the house and the only fitting on the line looks like a copper 'bell'-like object that has a hard looping thin copper pipe coming out of the top that seems to end up connecting to the ingnition chamber (described as the 'flame' on my manual if memory serves (although I can't find the manual this time around)) so I'm not sure if this is a filter. Do you know where the filter may be on the burner (ie. before or after the bleed nipple screw for example) or what it looks like?

Thanks,

Seb

The bell like object will be the fire valve (if the end of the thin copper pipe gets too hot it shuts the oil off) it does sound like you have not got a filter, it will look like the fire valve but with no thin copper pipe and it will be larger with an oil pipe in and out, a bleed screw on the top and a nut on the bottom to remove the filter bowl, if you have a garden killer spray, you can take the lance of the plastic pipe and use this to blow back up the oil pipe to try and clear the blockage, probably need two people one to pump and one tho hold the connection, I would do it with just air that way 1, you stand a better chance of clearing the block and 2, if the pipe comes off you will only discharge air, with luck you will push the debris back into the tank, and with a pipe full of air the oil will flow back easily, Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rick,

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked. Is there anything else that you could suggest?

Thanks,

Seb

it could be bunged up at the fire valve, if you undo the pipe on the tank side and see what flow you get here, if it is good then the blockage is from the valve on, so try pressuring it from the valve towards the boiler, Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rick,

Just tried unscrewing the fire valve on the tank side. I definitely have a healthy flow of oil on the tank side of the fire valve!

Unfortunately, I don't think that I can safely undo the fire valve fully on the boiler side. It is very low off the floor and immediately above skirting board which makes it impossible to collect the oil that comes out. If I were to undo it, I would end up with the entire contents of the pipe from the tank isolator valve to the fire valve (roughly 10 metres) all over the wooden floor so I don't think I can do that.

The good news is that we now know that it is a blockage inside the house meaning that is much more easily accessible than a blockage in pipework outside under concrete. What I was thinking of doing is fully taking out the bleed nipple screw (which I only undid slightly before to get seepage) and blowing down it towards the boiler with the plastic lance I was using earlier.

The reason for that is that I suspect the blockage is somewhere between the bleed nipple and the copper pipe (perhaps in the flexible metal braided pipe or in the black fitting that is between the braided pipe and the copper one). When I loosened the bleed nipple screw slightly earlier, I got oil seeping out so I'm guessing the blockage is between the bleed nipple and the copper pipe. I don't know if there is a one-directional valve or something in the bleed nipple which would make this pointless though. Does this sound like a sensible thing to do?

Thanks,

Seb

yes what you propose is sound, there will not be a one way valve on the bleed, it just could be that the flexi pipe has collapsed on the inside, but at least as you said, it has been narrowed down to a short section of pipe that is accessible, Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rick,

I've just thought, before I try that, that it could be dangerous if I get any oil spillage inside the boiler (the bleed nipple being just above the burner). As the parts in the boiler heat up when the system is on and working, will any residual oil that I haven't managed to mop up reach combustion point?

Thanks,

Seb

No this will not happen just place as many old towels/rag to soak up what spills and place it in plastic bags before removing it from the house, Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rick,

Unfortunately, this did not resolve the issue. We had to call out a repair man to fix it in the end. It turned out to be related to the pressure in the system rather than a blockage.

Thank you for the help anyway.

OK thanks for getting back Rick