Technicaldan, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Accredited

Im trevor my terrano 2 2,7 2004, I over reved it out of

Customer Question

hi im trevor my terrano 2 2,7 2004, I over reved it out of gear, its now gutless smokes a lot, computer say no faults, tried new air maff meter ecr valve, throttle peddle, I am running with air mass electics discognected it smokes less power the same, its like its on full choke, or with no turbo, its been oked, yellow engine light comes on sometimes, more if I let engine idle, goes off when stopped and off for perhaps 2 or5 days, it is diesel,
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 170,000
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes , no if I need computer
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: new air mass meter ,new throttle peddle neww egr valve
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: I over reved it out of gear which started the problem
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Nissan
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 4 months ago.

In light of the over revving, I would be looking to do a diesel compression test on each cylinder to check for any damage to the piston rings or cylinder bore and valves, etc, before I spent out on electrical sensors.

It is unlikely for an electrical component to failure due to over reviving as opposed to an internal mechanical failure, although you say there are no faults on the computer however, the yellow management light means that there is or has been a diagnostic trouble code stored and it would be useful to have this code.

The compression figure for your engine, 24.5 to 29.4 bar if you have access to diesel compression testing equipment.