Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, 23 years repairing my own cars and others, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

My name is ***** *****. I have a 2011 Nissan Micra that

Customer Question

Hi Ross my name is ***** *****. I have a 2011 Nissan Micra that keeps overheating when I drive up hills. I have taken it to two mechanics - the first one pressure tested the radiator and checked the thermostat and couldnt find anything wrong. I picked it up and drove home and the light came on again and the coolant that they had put in was boiling in the overflow - so definitely overheating. Then I took it to a Nissan place and they have had it for a week, replaced the thermostat and the coolant (again!) and have taken it for a test drive and it overheated again. then told me they have done $500 worth of 'diagnostic testing' and can't find what's wrong without pulling it all out. I told them to stop trying to diagnose it and I will pick it up ASAP - but my problem still isn't solved and I won't be able to drive it until it is. by the way it is a 1.3 litre manual
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the light that comes on looks like a sailing boat on water? so I guess it is the water light?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Nissan
Expert:  Nathan B replied 1 year ago.

Hi there.

Welcome to ja.com.

I hope I can help you today, but first I need to ask you some questions so I can answer you better.

1. When the car is overheating or very hot does the cooling fan be running. This is the fan that cools the radiator under the bonnet?

2. Do the rubber pipes to and from the radiator feel very hard to squeeze when this is happening? Watch though as they will be hot !!

3. Is there any coolant loss from the system? Ie. Do you have to top it up again at all once it has cooled down? Note that if you take the radiator cap off when hit there will be loss of coolant due to the pressure so let it cool before removing so as to get a true reading of any loss.

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nathan I don't know I will have to check those things when I get it back from the mechanic on Monday morning.It seems to be ok until I go up a hill and then it starts to overheat. I dont think there is coolant loss - but the radiator has been pressure tested and was ok.I'll have to wait until I get the car back to check the cooling fan and the rubber pipes. I'll get back to you on Monday if that is ok to wait?
Expert:  Nathan B replied 1 year ago.

Hi again

Thanks for your reply.

That's not a problem to wait until Monday. As you can appreciate, I cannot see the car and so have to ask the questions so I can answer you better and may have to ask more before I can answer properly. But I am sure we will get to the problem and get you back on the road again.

Speak to you Monday

Thanks