Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, 23 years repairing my own cars and others, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Nissan/Datsun 1.3 SLX automatic: I have Micra, 1.3 SLX, which

Customer Question

I have Micra, 1.3 SLX, which starts and runs primarily fine un till you rev up & take the foot off the gas pedal, it runs irratic and appears to die down. and cuts out in traffic jam and on traffic light stops. Can you help ?. I have read the final part of the help section and am happy to pay the amount you have asked (£11 total)but am concerned with the method of payment.I don't know if its safe and secure. I was going to use Mastercard. You need to assure me this method is safe.About the car IO have faiolred to mention it is a automatic and was used for only small trips to the shops for 11 years. It has been regularly serviced but had this problem for many years.
Category: UK Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello
I'd agree that a vacuum leak is a strong possibilty
and the best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements
and yes also checking the timing chain for any slackness is a good idea as they are prone to excessive wear
as for the payment method then if you have paid the deposit then you have already paid and please note that having paid the deposit then this does not pay the expert
only until you rate my answer then I recive a portion of the deposit
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hi
do you still need help?