Gary Robinson
Gary Robinson, UK Nissan Car Mechanic
Experience:  25 years of working on Nissans, from Cherrys to Qashqais!

Nissan Primera Sport Plus: My Nissan Primera Sport plus Malfunction

My Nissan Primera Sport plus Malfunction Light Indicator came on yesterday and stayed on. This is the first time it has happened. the car is 12 years old and has done 95 000 miles. What do you think is the problem and how serious and how expensive to repair? It seems to be still driving ok.
Good morning and thank you very much for your question.

The engine management unit (ECU) has detected a fault and this is why the engine management warning light has activated.

A fault code should be stored in the ecu's memory which will point your garage in the direction of the fault. The only way to find out what has caused the problem is to take your car to a garage that has the correct diagnostic equipment, and have a diagnostic check carried out, which will reveal what the fault code is.

As long as your engine isn't misfiring, you will be ok to drive it. When an engine is misfiring, unburnt petrol can enter the catalytic converter, causing it to overheat and melt internally. If this happens, the cat will have to be replaced.

Most garages have this diagnostic test equipment nowadays, so I would suggest phoning round for a quote unless you have a garage that you use regularly. You do not have to go to a main dealer for this test.

There are many reasons why the light could come on, so guessing would not be wise and will almost certainly end up costing you money.

I hope this answers your question, but if you need any further help, please reply to this answer.
Regards, Gary.
Once again, thank you very much for your question. I hope that you were happy with my answer and that your Primera is running well. If you have more questions, you can ask me directly — that's what I'm here for!
Best regards, Gary.