Gary Robinson
Gary Robinson, UK Nissan Car Mechanic
Experience:  25 years of working on Nissans, from Cherrys to Qashqais!

Nissan/Datsun micra: 03 micra, airbag warning light flashing

03 micra, airbag warning light flashing constantly, seat belts seem to be working correctly???

Good evening and thank you very much for your question.

There are a number of reasons why the air bag system (SRS) warning light may have activated and the fault code will be stored in the ECU (electronic control unit) memory. I would recommend having a diagnostic check carried out which will reveal the fault code and point you towards the cause of the problem. You do not have to go to a main dealer for this check, most good garages should be able to do this for you.

It may be something as simple as a loose connection, or broken wire, or more likely it could be a faulty sensor, but without the diagnostic check it's not easy to trace the problem. Remember though, air bags can be dangerous, so please take care if you check the connections, and in the event of an accident they might not deploy if the warning light is on or flashing.

Like the engine computer and ABS computer, the air bag control module runs self-checks every time the vehicle is started and while it is being driven. If it finds a fault in a crash sensor, one of the air bag modules, or the wiring then it will turn on the warning light.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards, Gary.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not a common fault, was thinking possibly a dead cert go to it solution, many thanks will look into diagnostic test

Thank you very much for your reply.

These things are rarely that simple I'm afraid. If your garage will give you the code(s), let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Regards, Gary.