Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, 20 years repairing my own cars and others, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Nissan: reprogram..the car wont start..car started..central locking

Customer Question

how to reprogram a nissan almera sports + yr 2000 key- the ignition imobleizer has kicked in and now the car wont start - had the key refirbished worked fine car started and ran but now wont start key still works central locking but the imobleizer light on the dash keeps flashing and the key is dead in the lock engine wont turn over
Category: UK Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello

I'd 1st try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

This will reset all the systems on the car and you'll need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm

then re-synchronise the key as follows:

The Central Door locking is controlled by the Multi-Remote Control system which controls the door locking, door super locking and hazard reminder. When the doors are locked and unlocked the unit flashes the hazard lights once for lock and twice for unlock.

A maximum of four remote controls are allowed to be programmed.

Ensure all the doors have been unlocked, either by using a good transponder key or remote control plip key.

1. Turn the ignition switch from Position 0 to ON 6 times within 10 seconds.

2. Then turn ignition switch to OFF position. Leave key in ignition switch.

3. After 2 seconds, the system will enter programming mode and will flash the warning lights twice.

4. Press and HOLD the unlock button on the Plip.

5. While pressing the unlock button, press the lock button 3 times.

6. Release the unlock button.

7. The warning lights will flash once to indicate successful programming.

8. Repeat procedure 4 to 7 for up to 4 plip key’s.

9. When completed turn ignition ON, and the warning lights will flash 2 times.

10. Remove key, and check all plip key’s for operation.

NOTE : The programming mode will stop when either the ignition is switch ON, 4 plip keys have been programmed or no input signal either from the switch or plip keys has been received for 120 seconds.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi thanks for the info - but sadly its not worked ????? - the emobleizer light just keeps flashing - and starting the car is a very hit and miss affair - ?? - if the car is left unlocked then -starting is not a problem ?? - if the locks are - locked then the trouble starts again - the light keeps continueing to flash constant - and the car will not start at all - after messing wiv the locks the car starts once more ???????????????? - its like the car has a mind of its own - lol
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello

well the immobilser (known within nisssan as NAPS) uses a signal from a transponder in the key fob to turn it off

so is this the original key ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
not kown buddy ?? - the car was brought wiv just one key - would you pls tell me my opitions from hear ?? - is it possible to fit another naps from a 2001 car whick i have 4 spares whick i know the key is gud on that one - ??? many thanks cars who needs them -?? - lol
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello

I'd suggest the best option is to get the car to a security specialist or the dealership who can re-code the NAPS system to recognise a new key ( possibly one of your 4 spares)

I'd tend to favour the specialist as they're labour rate is usually much cheaper but they have a much broader range of expertise