Engineering Pro
Engineering Pro, Automotive Engineer.
Experience:  BEng, M-SAE, Qualified Mechanic.

Nissan: Trail 2.2 cdi sve.During the very cold winter we..transit..van

Customer Question

I have a Nissan X-Trail 2.2 cdi sve.During the very cold winter we had this year my car struggled to start every morning,much like trying to start a 15 year old transit van.I changed the glow plugs and had the battery checked for cold cranking, but due to unemployment that was as far as I could go and struggled on with it.Would you believe it the last couple of mornings of lower has started to do it again and its not even cold.Surely this is not right.Is this a sensor failure or a fuel problem.I hope you can give me some advice.Could this be a battery problem considering the vehicle is 6 years old,would it be worth trying a new battery before anything else ?
Category: UK Nissan
Expert:  Engineering Pro replied 6 years ago.

The most probable cause is simply the fuel.

In most cold weather countries the winter grade diesel has a higher volatility rating and hence is easier to start. This fuel is not readily available in the UK winter. The 'summer' grade diesel is likely to turn a little gloopy during very cold weathe, ive seen vehicles with poor quality summer fuel fail to start in just -2degC weather.

Unfortunately the only fix is to perhaps call your local garage manager/supplier to see if they use summer or winter diesel through the colder months...

All the best